Sunday, February 4, 2018

Why I'm Okay With Being Single This Valentine's Day

February typically isn't a month that we single gals eagerly look forward to. For me personally, it's almost always been a month that I would deeply dread as all of the heart-shaped candies, roses, and overpriced teddy bears would steadily come out to make their annual appearances. But this year, I'm choosing to change my generally bad attitude towards this holiday and look at Valentine's Day with a whole new perspective.


"Just because I'm not linked to someone romantically at this time, doesn't mean that there isn't love in my life."


Valentine's Day has never been my thing, while the idea of a gushy holiday full of romantic gestures may sound wonderful for those in a relationship, it's not so great for those of us who aren't. I'll be honest here, I've definitely done my fair share of eye-rolling at those couples who can't seem to get enough of proclaiming the love they have for their significant others throughout the day on social media, documenting every little moment as they celebrate.

Now I totally recognize that I'm coming off as incredibly bitter at this time, but I promise you, I've got my mind set on having a wonderful Valentine's Day this year, despite not being involved in a relationship, because, for the first time in my life, I am completely cool and so happy with being single...So allow me to explain why I'm more than okay with spending this one alone, and why I'm  going to have the best Valentine's Day ever.


1. I'M STILL GOING TO CELEBRATE
I've never properly celebrated this holiday before, I've never had the chance due to feeling incredibly excluded from Valentines Day festivities for obvious reasons, but this one is going to be different because I'll be celebrating in my own way. I'm just so over the whole "I hate Valentines Day" thing at this point, I'm only making myself more miserable by dwelling on it, so for once I'll embrace what's to come.

Truth be told I'm still not entirely sure how I'll be celebrating the day, but I do have a few ideas in mind, even if it's something as simple as grabbing take-out from my favorite restaurant and binge-watching all of the Spider-Man movies made. (Andrew Garfield films very much excluded) Seriously, it's time I allow myself to have a little fun, no relationship? No problem! I'm attempting to love myself, so I'll celebrate with just me! 

2. I'M ALREADY COMMITTED TO MY WORK 
I know, I know. It may sound rather cliché since I feel like almost every single gal out there uses her career as an excuse for being single, but at this particular moment in time, it's true. I am fully committed to my work, and I'm not just talking about my boring ole' day job. I'm talking about my writing, my actual dream, the most important thing to me outside of my family.

Between working hard, chasing all of my dreams of becoming a full-time blogger, freelance writer, and author, along with working the job I am now in order to somewhat support myself financially, this stage of my life has been dedicated to figuring out how to make those goals and aspirations of mine actually happen. Not to mention, I'm still trying to learn more about who I am as a person through my work and try to find out what it is I want out of life.

Unless someone undeniably special comes waltzing into my life in the very near future, I don't think that I would have the time for a serious relationship, and I'm completely fine with having this time for me and what I want to do, and no, that's not selfish...We all need a little time for ourselves before we go off and commit to someone else. 










































.
3. MY LIFE IS SO FULL OF LOVE  
You know, just because I'm not linked to someone romantically at this time, doesn't mean that there isn't love in my life. In fact, I think love will be the one thing I'll always have no matter what. I'm lucky enough to have a whole family that cares about me, from my parents and my brother to my little dog, Posey, who loves me so much that I can't step out of the house for 5 minutes without her acting like I've been gone for an entire year.

Then my incredibly loving mother always thinks of me during this holiday, she puts together a card and some goodies that never fail to make me go all misty-eyed. Being the amazing person that she is, she would never want me to feel excluded, and she sets an excellent example that this particular holiday doesn't need to be about only couples and romance, but it should overall share the message of showing your loved ones that you care. 


4. I WON'T BE SINGLE FOREVER
While I've come to the conclusion that I'd be perfectly fine by myself if God decided that was the way it should be, I don't think I'll stay single foreverI always say that I'm not interested in dating right now, and that's the honest truth. But I also won't be silly and avoid someone who is undeniably my soulmate, when someone special does come into my life, I have to accept that opportunity. 

But I honestly haven't the slightest clue how long I'll be celebrating this day without a man in my life, it could be years or I could have someone with me for the next one, there's just no way of knowing for sure. But as of right now, it's just me, and there's no reason why I can't enjoy the occasion with friends and family instead! 


5. THERE'S NO PRESSURE 
I'm not someone who is very good under pressure, if anything I totally buckle, and when it comes to buying gifts for someone, it majorly stresses me out. It's horrifying. With the exception of close family members, I never, ever know what to get for anyone, and will most likely panic at the thought of getting a gift that they wouldn't completely dislike or already have bought for themselves.

Then, adding in the element of having to buy something spectacular for your significant other, adds a whole other level of stress. I'm definitely not one of those people who believe it's only the woman that should get something for Valentine's Day, there are some amazing men out there that deserve presents, too! But I'm horrible at gift giving, another year of feeling no pressure is something I'll very much appreciate while it lasts.

-





















This year I'm making an effort to choose happiness, a good attitude can open up a world of opportunity and I'm no longer interested in sitting around like a grouch, grumbling about all of the couples out there posting about what their significant others did for them on social media. Instead, I'll be minding my own business, allowing everyone to have their moment while I enjoy the holiday my own way. Treating myself to a nice takeout meal, and spending some quality time with my wonderful family...Now, what will you do to celebrate?













No comments:

Post a Comment